On 03/01/2012 09:07 AM, Gerhardus Geldenhuis wrote:
Hi
I have a freshly build rhel5u7 server from the DVD not updated.

It has two interfaces:

DEVICE=eth0
ONBOOT=yes
HWADDR=00:0C:29:6B:78:6C
TYPE=Ethernet
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=10.10.10.102
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
DNS1=10.10.10.4
DNS2=192.168.9.1

and

DEVICE=eth1
ONBOOT=yes
HWADDR=00:0C:29:6B:78:76
TYPE=Ethernet
BOOTPROTO=dhcp
DNS1=10.10.10.4
DNS2=192.168.9.1
PEERDNS=no

I have a custom /etc/resolv.conf
search example.com
nameserver 10.10.10.4
nameserver 192.168.9.1

If I run the command
host myserver.example.com I get
Host myserver.example.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

However if I disable the second name server (192.168.9.1) it works.

Now to explain the 10.10.10.4 server is my own dns server and the
192.168.9.1 server is the dns server for all external dns lookups.

The docs says nameserver entries in /etc/resolv get tried sequentially but
it does not seem to happen for me.

I did a strace but I could not see anything significantly different between
the two lookups with different /etc/resolv.conf files.

I would appreciate anyone shedding any light on the problem.

ipv6 is disabled

Regards

Do you have nscd running? If so, turn it off and retry all of your tests. If it is still misbehaving, then these are the next things I'd look at.

Is eth1 on the same subnet as the 192.168.9.1 name server? Which interface has the default route?

What happens when you do a tcpdump of traffic going out on eth0/eth1 to port 53?

What options did you give strace when you were checking with the functioning resolv.conf and the broken resolv.conf.

Hugh