Just curious - your infosec/compliance folks don't have an issue running your systems management workload on a project which offers no guarantees or SLAs?

Spacewalk is awesome, to be sure. I'm just surprised that something as important as security update delivery doesn't set off alarm bells with infosec types on a platform with no commercial support.

TC

On 05/25/2012 12:27 PM, Musayev, Ilya wrote:
I can second what Ray has mentioned. It's a bit more tedious to set everything
up initially - but once it's all done, it works well. I'm almost complete with
my spacewalk setup. I will post a detailed guide in the near future, since I'm
documenting it for my employer anyway and need to abstract proprietary info.

-----Original Message-----
From: rhelv5-list-boun...@redhat.com [mailto:rhelv5-list-boun...@redhat.com] On
Behalf Of Ray Van Dolson
Sent: Friday, May 25, 2012 12:39 PM
To: rhelv5-list@redhat.com
Subject: Re: [rhelv5-list] Patch/RPM Management of RHEL5 servers

On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 09:27:39AM -0700, Jagga Soorma wrote:
Hi Guys,

I currently manage all patching (and rpm installs) of RHEL 5 servers
via our internal RHN Satellite server.  However, due to funding and
other reasons, we are trying to save $$ and would prefer not to
purchase management licenses for our RHN Satellite server.  I was
wondering how other folks out there are managing their RHEL servers?

What I am thinking of doing is only having a few licenses for my
Satellite server and then using reposync to create manual repositories
on a physical server (by extracting the rpms from RHN channels on our
internal satellite) and have the clients register to these
repositories instead of the satellite server.  This way I would have
the same patches and cut on the cost of purchasing management licenses
for our Satellite server.  Do you see any downside to this approach?
Are others doing something similar?  I have a growing environment of about 500
RHEL servers.

Also, I only use the internal RHN Satellite server for patching and
nothing else (no provisioning, kickstart files etc - done elsewhere).

Thanks in advance for your assistance,

What you describe will work, but why not just ditch Satellite entirely then and
reposync against RHN directly?

As long as you're paying for your entitlements for each RHEL instance I think
you should be good (but recommend you check w/ your account rep first of
course).

Alternaetly you could also do the reposync/mrepo thing against RHN and then
slurp it up into Spacewalk and register your RHEL hosts there.
This would give you a near-Satellite experience sans support[1]

Ray

[1] Note I'm not 100% sure you *can* register RHEL hosts to Spacewalk.
I think you can...

Thomas Cameron, RHCA, RHCSS, RHCDS, RHCVA, RHCX
Chief Architect, Canada and Central US
512-241-0774 office / 512-585-5631 cell
http://people.redhat.com/tcameron/
IRC: choirboy / AIM: rhelguy / Yahoo: rhce_guy /Google+ http://ongpl.us/tdc