On Thursday 30 August 2012 06:25:52 Bryan J Smith wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 30, 2012 at 4:55 AM, Nuno Fernandes <npf-mli...@eurotux.com>
wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I have a server with centos5 installed and 2.6.18-308.4.1.el5xen kernel
> > with the following modules ...
> > The important part is the mptsas module that is being used because of the
> > local disc of the server ...
> > I've then upgraded to a more recent kernel (rebuild from source from
> > http://au1.mirror.crc.id.au/repo/SRPMS/). The kernel is
> > kernel-xen-2.6.32.57-2.
>
> There is no guarantee that a more recent, unsupported kernel like
> 2.6.32 will work on an userspace built around 2.6.18, especially if
> you are making use of the Xen Hypervisor and other components.
>
> There can be some "breakable" modules when you're running 2.6.32, 3.0,
> etc... on the EL5/2.6.18 kABI  ;)

Yes.. that coud happen. I've upgraded some packages also (mkinitrd and udev)
and they can be the origin of the problem. I'm still on the process of
figuring why.

> > The kernel boots fine and initrd kicks in. It loads mptsas module and
> > detects the local harddrive but no partition appears on /proc/partitions.
> > Because of that it can't mount root partition and panics. Does anyone know
> > any issue with mptsas or a way to debug the problem?
>
> How did you verify the mpt* stack actually loads if it kernel panics?
> Did you see it scroll past?
>
> Did you try booting the old kernel, and breaking out the initrd (e.g.,
> "gzip -cd initrd.img | cpio -imdv") ?  It probably wouldn't hurt to do
> some comparison of the init and modules between your working 2.6.18
> and the "problematic" 2.6.32.

To find the problem i've changed the initrd of 2.6.32 to include bash and a
few other tools (mknod, dmesg, ls, cat etc). Because i don't have ssh to it
you can find the images on:

http://troll.ws/image/b4003dd8
http://troll.ws/image/201f0253

The images are from 2.6.39uek kernel (i was trying with that kernel because
Oracle creates packages for el5 and to see if a newer kernel worked).

What can i do to debug this?

Thanks,
Nuno Fernandes