Jools,

To get the value more directly I think you can also measure the scattering at two theta of 90 degrees in the horizontal versus vertical plane. We did this last week at the synchrotron in the course of making some detector correction files and there was a nice hole in the diffraction patterns in the horizontal due to the polarisation. If you set up the right experiment it should be very obvious what the polarisation is and not at all mysterious.

Cheers,

Jon