If this rule is broken, such as the mode in FIT2D that smooths patterns by pixel-splitting) then one introduces correlation between points in the pattern

Hi Brian, your comment has triggered me it seems :-)

For SAXS and PDF it could be better to under-sample the data (see end), but for profile fitting I find this story is causing more headaches than it solves. Splitting pixels was (and still is?) a pragmatic way to address the following:

- To fit peak positions and widths for strain you need >3 points within the FWHM. Output bins may be required as smaller than pixel sizes.

- Detector pixels may fall halfway between two output bins, so which output bin should they go into? If a bunch of pixels "jump" from one bin to another suddenly, so do your results. Your colleague, with a tiny change in calibration, might get wildly different answers to you.

Fitting the (raw) 2D images also overcomes that but runs into other problems: what are the weights for pixels with zero counts? Binning makes it is easier to look at a fit with ~5 points within a FWHM compared to 5000. Note that pixel splitting convolutes the pixel (or bin) shapes into the final peak shape, so you come out with broader and smoother peaks that tend to be more robust to numerical issues.

Serial correlation in the final fit remains a problem whether you split pixels or not, from a long time ago, e.g.:

Berar and Lelann: J. Appl. Cryst. (1991). 24, 1-5
https://doi.org/10.1107/S0021889890008391

Note that pixels from some detectors do not arrive as statistically independent quantities anyway. When spatial corrections have been done for you the patterns are obvious, but less so when a single X-ray photon is spread over several CCD pixels.

Is someone aware of a Rietveld example where "not splitting is better" while keeping the same bin size? I see the point for statistical analysis of the noise in SAXS and PDF data, but I do not get it when fitting strong peaks where the signal is greater than the noise level anyway. The reality for a lot of 2D detector data is that you counted way too many photons. Systematic errors in the fit are much larger than the statistical noise anyway.

Best,

Jon
===

PS: The SAXS argument against splitting pixels is here:
"Correlation Map, a goodness-of-fit test for one-dimensional X-ray scattering spectra"
Daniel Franke, Cy M Jeffries & Dmitri I Svergun
Nature Methods 12, 419–422 (2015)
https://doi.org/10.1038/nmeth.3358

The PDF case is here:
"On the estimation of statistical uncertainties on powder diffraction and small-angle scattering data from two-dimensional X-ray detectors"
X. Yang, P. Juhás and S. J. L. Billinge
J. Appl. Cryst. (2014). 47, 1273-1283
https://doi.org/10.1107/S1600576714010516