Is there are clean way to cancel a step-back based form if the user is several levels deep in terms of the form navigation?

On the very first page of my form there is a "cancel" and a "next" button. If you go to the form's first page (1st time through) and hit cancel (I check for a "Cencel" parameter), I call ContinuationContext.getActiveContext().removeContextTree() and then you are taken to the home page via an exit() call. It works just as I expect.

If instead you fill in the form, and click next, to get to page 2 things get interesting. If you hit pages 2's "back button" to get back to page 1 (you're now stepped back), and then click "cancel" the application acts like you clicked next and takes you back to page 2. The clause that looks for the "cancel" parameter is never executed.

If you click back again (taking you back to page 1), and then hit cancel again you are again taken back to page 2. Its like the cancel param is only available the first time through the first page of the form....

Is there any way out of this?

David