CatBus;152374 Wrote:
>  But remember, don't compare FLACs and MP3s derived from the CDs to the
> HDCD--you'd likely hear plenty of differences totally unrelated to the
> compression codec.

You're kind of helping to illustrate my point here.

HDCD's also contain the standard CD version, which is heard unless your
external DAC can decode the signal. You probably own a few HDCDs and
didn't even know it.

HDCD FLAC files can be decoded by an external DAC (FLAC is bit
perfect), so in effect you're listening to the HDCD (20bit).

HDCD Mp3 files will not be decoded by an external DAC (Mp3 is not bit
perfect), so you're  in effect listening to the CD version (actually a
compressed generation of it).

And yes, you're right- you're likely to hear plenty of differences, but
they are TOTALLY related to the compression codec.

--
Skunk