In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
   James Taylor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun 24 Mar, Richard Torrens (RiscOS) wrote:
> >
> > It'd not strictly a Perl problem but I'm doing it in Perl...

> It's not a Perl problem at all!

That depends if I can solve it. It also depends on how Perl's file
operations interface with RISCOS. Your comment makes me think that
interface is pretty complete?

> > The problem: how can I tell when Blackhole has finished expiry
> > and is ready to accept the previous backups?

> I don't know how Blackhole structures its rubbish directory but
> perhaps you can look to see how it does it. Your backup program
> could then create an empty file in a position that Blackhole's
> expiry process will get to last of all. Then all your program
> needs to do is poll for the existence of that marker file and
> when it is gone you will know that Blackhole has finished.
> Of course, you will probably need to time stamp the marker file
> to ensure that it will be expired correctly.

I had not thought of that - but Blackhole single tasks during deletions.
Whether a networked command can check the existemce of a file, I don't
know. Trials I have made along these lines throw up an error window
'Please insert disc etc.'

Richard Torrens
4QD manufacture speed controllers for battery electric motors.
www sites http://www.4QD.co.uk http://www.4QDtec.com http://www.4QD.org
All email addresses are copyright.
Resale or use on any lists is expressly forbidden
---------- We use a RISC PC 32 bit RISC computer  ----------------