On 11-Sep-07, at 12:33 PM, <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 18:17:23 +0200 Brian McKee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
>> Here's an interesting tidbit.  I installed Parallels (similar to
>> VMware) on OSX where I had rkhunter 1.2.9 running, and it flagged
>> one  of the virtual network cards as 'promiscuous'
>
> But was it?
> Any details you want to share?
> How about testing 1.3.0 if you have time to spare?

Well, 1.3 is on my list of things to try, but I'm swamped currently....

As for whether it's 'promiscuous' or not, OSX seems to think it is,
so I guess rkhunter is 'right'

> en2:
> flags=8963<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST>
> mtu 1500
>         inet6 fe80::21c:42ff:fe00:0%en2 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x8
>         inet 192.168.1.197 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.1.255
>         ether 00:1c:42:00:00:00
>         media: autoselect status: active
>         supported media: autoselect
> en3:
> flags=8963<UP,BROADCAST,SMART,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST>
> mtu 1500
>         inet6 fe80::21c:42ff:fe00:1%en3 prefixlen 64 scopeid 0x9
>         inet 10.211.55.2 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.211.55.255
>         ether 00:1c:42:00:00:01
>         media: autoselect status: active
>         supported media: autoselect

I have Parallels set to 'bridged' mode so that the virtual machine
gets it's own ip on the real LAN.
en2 is labelled Parallels Host-Guest.  Accessing it from the LAN gets
you my Mac...
en3 is labelled Parallels NAT - for Parallels 'shared adapter' mode
rather than bridged.  Haven't used it, but I see it's marked promisc
too.

I'm not sure why they are set to promiscuous - to tell you the truth
I'm not sure why they have an adapter for bridged mode that has it's
own address?  The virtual machine uses a different address again.  I
just started using Parallels and I'm not up on how it works under the
hood.

Stepping back a bit, I guess the point of discovering promisc devices
is to find any processes that are slurping all the network traffic,
and Parallels could be used to do just that, so it's a valid warning...

HTH
Brian