On Wed, 2007-11-07 at 11:48 +0000, John Horne wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-11-06 at 23:42 +0100, Peo Nilsson wrote:
> > Dear listmembers.
> >

> > I found a wrong information in the config file of rkhunter 1.3.0.
> > Thought I would post it so ppl after me will be guided right.
> >
> > I run FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE and in the rkhunter.conf the information
> > regarding HASH_FLD_IDX says:
> >
> > ...<snap>
> > The default value is one, but for *BSD users
> > rkhunter will automatically use a value of 4.
> > <snap>...
> >
> > On FreeBSD 6.2, 'man cksum' says:
> >
> > ...<snap>
> > The cksum utility writes to the standard output three whitespace
> > sepa--------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > Download your FREE copy of Splunk now >> http://get.splunk.com/
> > rated fields for each input file. These fields are a checksum CRC, the
> > total number of octets in the file and the file name.
> > <snap>...
> >
> > So for FreeBSD 6.2-Release the HASH_FLD_IDX should be set to 1, *not*
> > 4 as the info in config file says.
> >
> Hello,
>
> Well yes, no or possibly! As far as I can tell the current OpenBSD,
> FreeBSD and NetBSD man pages all say the same thing in this respect.
> However, it depends on what you have set your HASH_FUNC option to. Since
> by default RKH will look for 'sha1sum', and if not found then 'sha1',
> under NetBSD 3.1 the sha1 command (because NetBSD has no sha1sum) gives:
>
>    {NetBSD}: sha1 /bin/ps
>    SHA1 (/bin/ps) = 9c8cd421f6fa8dd55fd2ecbc7d76b7f13027e91a
>
> As can be seen, the hash field index must be 4 in this case.
>
> Can you run the same command ('sha1 /bin/ps') under FreeBSD and let me
> know what it shows please.

{FreeBSD}:
SHA1 (/bin/ps) = 9709aa53540a004db9206260ee8c8380bc54b2f3

> Ironically though, I see in the rkhunter.conf file, I have given as an
> example the following:
>
>    #   For NetBSD    : HASH_FUNC="cksum -n -a sha512"
>
> This command will actually produce the hash value as the first field, so
> HASH_FLD_IDX should be 1 in this example! I should perhaps comment that
> in as well. Alternatively is to remove the '-n', which will then give
> the output requiring HASH_FLD_IDX to be 4 again.

On FreeBSD you have no options for cksum.
Well you have *one* to tell the truth:

{FreeBSD}
man cksum:
<snap>
The options are as follows:
     -o Use historic algorithms instead of the (superior) defaultone.
...<snap>

In my rkhunet.conf I now have:

HASH_FUNC=cksum
HASH_FLD_IDX=1