Hello!

In the process of installing rkhunter from sources I ran across a
small issue. I wanted to use the DEB layout but with no directory
prefix so that the installation will end up in /usr and /var and their
subdirectories. I tried to define a DEB_BUILD_ROOT variable as an
empty variable (export DEB_BUILD_ROOT=) but the installer script
complained that the variable is not defined (it doesn't exist) so I
looked into the script and I found that the variable is tested as a
non zero length string. This is a bit problematic for those like me
who don't want to define a prefix for the DEB layout so if there is
not other workaround or repair may I suggest to change the following
line in the code from
if [ -n "${DEB_BUILD_ROOT}" ]; then
if [ -n "$DEB_BUILD_ROOT+x}" ]; then

This will test for unset environment variable not for a non zero
string allowing to set and empty variable as prefix for the DEB
layout. The line mentioned above can be found in the DEB section of
the installer script.
I wanted to suggest this improvement here first and if somebody finds
it a good idea I will make a small patch if is necessary. Thank you!

P.S. I tested this on bash and sh and it worked without any problem.

With regards,
levi

--
Lege, lege, relege, ora, labora et invenies.