Dave has an interesting point, and I thought others on the list might know
if this has been implemented.
    - [ Aaron Swartz | [EMAIL PROTECTED] | http://www.aaronsw.com ]
----------
From: "Dave Winer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 22:12:45 -0800
Subject: Interesting discussion on Hack the Planet

I just read an interesting post by Robb Beale on Wes Felter's site. He asks:

"OK. How is distributed real-time search different from the JIT search stuff
Dave (Winer) spec'd out like 50 web years ago?"

http://wmf.editthispage.com/discuss/msgReader$3037?mode=day

I had to blink and read that twice and ponder it for a moment and realized
Robb has a point.

What we proposed two years ago, that no search engine other than our own has
adopted is a very simple idea.

When a page changes, the new content of the page is squirted up to the
search engine and indexed immediately.

I called this a JIT-SE, for Just In Time Search Engine.

I wonder if this is ever going to get implemented by anyone else. It's all
done with XML-RPC, of course.

Here's the DaveNet piece (1996) where I first floated the idea..

http://davenet.userland.com/1996/09/07/FloatingIdeas

Dave

Dave Winer, UserLand Software
Daily notes: http://www.scripting.com/