VBCoder wrote:

> I got to this list from robotstxt.org.  From the looks of the archive, most
> here are building robots.  My question is from the other side, having robots
> visit my site.  I hope that my question can be answered here.  I have a site
> that utilizes a shopping cart.  The page to add goes like
> shoppingcart.asp?item=add&item=w123456.  My robots.txt file has and entry
> that ends with shoppingcart.asp.  I see many robots that visit the site,
> read the robots.txt file and go merrily on their way to add every item in
> the catalog to the shopping cart.  I have had to resort to keeping records
> of all of the UAs that look at the robots.txt file and adding them to a list
> that will return a 404 error if they try to add items to the cart.

I'd recommend to return a 403 Forbidden or, probably even better, redirect all
such robots to an explanatory page with your contact information, in case you
incorrectly identify some requests as robot traffic and a human being ends up on
that page.

> I don't
> see this as a real solution due to the overhead involved.  It does keep the
> items out of the shopping cart database but the overhead cost is too much.
> The site in question is a sub web.  The robots file is in the domain root.
> What am I doing wrong?

Do these robots which crawl your site actually fetch robots.txt? Not all robots
honor robots.txt, if your logs show that they did fetch robots.txt there may be
a problem with your robots file, feel free to post the URL here or in private
email if you need a second pair of eyes to look over it.

--
Klaus Johannes Rusch
[EMAIL PROTECTED]