Hi

> You cannot just insert one of the new 160GB drives into an iriver,
> because the interface is not the same. But basically the old Micro-ATA
> connector and the new ZIF/FPC connector are electrically identical.

After a little more research I found out, that this is not true. There
are a least these different standards:

PATA with pin connector, 40 wires
PATA with ZIF connector, 40 wires
CE-ATA x4, 12 wires ZIF connector
CE-ATA x8, 18 wires ZIF connector

The PATA connectors are electrical identical. The two CE-ATA are not,
even not x4 and x8. See also the CE-ATA spezification:

http://www.ce-ata.org/docs/CE-ATACabConRev2Gold.pdf

Current PATA drives with ZIF connectors are:
Toshiba MK8009GAH (80GB, 8mm)
Toshiba MK8010GAH (80GB, 8mm)
Toshiba MK8022GAA (80GB, 5mm)
Toshiba MK1011GAH (100GB, 8mm)
Seagate ST760211DE (60GB, 5mm)
Seagate ST730212DE (30GB, 5mm)

Current CE-ATA drives are:
Toshiba MK1626GCB (160GB, 8mm)
Samsung HS161JQ (160GB, 8mm)
Seagate ST760211CA (60GB, 5mm)
Seagate ST730212CA (30GB, 5mm)

And as you might guess, for most of the drives I could not find the
spezification from the manufacturer. So it is second source knowledge
condensed partly from shops and forums and might be highly
inaccurate. But it looks like there is currently no drive on the
market with 160GB that will work in an iriver. But maybe the H120 can
be upgraded to 80GB.

cu
John