"rockbox as an app" works on android devices prior to v.?? after which due to
some technical change it does not. Sorry I cannot be more specific but this is
just beyond my skills.
Anyway as a final user, I use rb on smartphones up to android 4.0 almost
without any problem. Sometimes only it freezes while still playing but that can
easily be solved by force closing it.

There's a decicated post where you'll find more accurate answers and competent
devs, like one called "Saint".

Lastly note that although accrding to devs, rb requires to work with screens
matching the exact resolution of one's device, I definitely run it on one of
mine with a smaller than actual resolution and have it displayed only slightly
smaller than the whole screen.

Hope my broken english makes sense

Cheers,

Steph