I've just had a little battle of the bug, as anyone on the bugs list will have
observed.

The behavior reported is not a bug, but it *is* annoying.

William was the last person to bring this sort of thing up, with a series of
bugs and feature requests.  The bread crumb trail starts at #988036

        Matrix: Tied notes ignored confusing+crashing notation editr

The ensuing discussion brings up two points, one of which went on to become
feature request #1000736

        Matrix: Tied notes should be locked together

The other

        (2) Prevent RG from ever making split-and-tied notes
         unless specifically requested to do so; RG is not
         clever enough to know when split-and-tied notes are
         musically correct, or, indeed, desirable.

was categorically rejected by Chris as impossible.  This last point is in the
same spirit as a brand new feature request we just got, #1563800

        disable splitting midi events while recording

which is a complaint about how the splitting and tieing that occurs when
recording a multi-voice keyboard part yields a number of tied notes in the
matrix, which must be manually merged into single events with Ctrl+= before
they can be edited in the matrix in any useful way.

All of which comes back around to William's request of yore, and Chris's
categorical refusal.

I don't know what the surrounding issues are under the hood, but these two
users two years apart are raising valid points about behavior that may well
be intentional, but really is pretty crappy and obnoxious to deal with.

It seems there are two fundamental problems here.

1) We can't do anything sensible with a multi-voice recording.  That's where
the most recent user's complaints came from, and this might have been the
root of William's observations in 2004 as well.

What, if anything, can we do to improve this?

2) There is a fundamental divide between the needs of notation and the needs
of the pure MIDI user who doesn't care what the series of events looks like
in notation.

All these ties really are obnoxious.  They don't just affect real keyboard
players, but people like me who hit the odd wrong "grace" note, and turn what
would have been nice into a heap of multi-tied indecipherable gibberish.  (In
fact, real, intentional grace notes almost invariably end up as chords, come
to think of it.)

We really should do something about the ties as they appear, and as users
interact with them in the matrix.

I'm thinking what we really need here is some way to have our cake and eat it
too.  Events stay one event, and that event is one long dash in the matrix,
and a series of what appear to be discrete tied notes in notation.

I'm not quite sure where to go with that last thought, however.  It might be a
completely preposterous thought, or a brilliant stroke of genius.  How would
that work?

Ideally, this string of meta notes would reconfigure itself appropriately if
it found itself moved in the matrix.  Drag this long dash over here, and it
splits on bar lines differently, and transmogrifies itself into a different
series of tied notes.

I'm proposing to work on some of this, incidentally, I just don't quite know
how to start thinking at this point.  We should brainstorm.  It would be
especially helpful if Chris could find time to chime in.

--
D. Michael McIntyre

Author of Rosegarden Companion http://rosegarden.sourceforge.net/tutorial/