On Sat, 13 Jun 2020 22:40:34 -0400
Ted Felix <t...@tedfelix.com> wrote:

>On 6/12/20 3:29 PM, Arnaldo Pirrone wrote:
>> It looks like rosegarden sets the duration of the notes manually
>> inserted from the piano roll into the drum track to 3840. This causes
>> the velocity ruler to appear clogged up like you can see in the attached
>> picture.
>
>   Actually, the code to do this is more complicated than just 3840.  It
>adjusts the size to end at the end of the bar, or at the beginning of
>the next note(s) of the same pitch.  I have no idea why.  My best guess
>is that it is trying to make all percussion notes contiguous to a
>certain extent.  No drum synth that I've seen cares about note-offs, though.
>
>   I modified the relevant part of the code to go with 64th notes and it
>seems to work fine.  Even open/closed hat work exactly as expected.
>
>   Before I push this, does anyone have any ideas why there might be
>such a complicated algorithm for computing the end of a percussion note?
>  The relevant code is here if you want to have a look:
>
>   MatrixPercussionInsertionCommand::getEndTime()
>
>   Warning: There are no comments.
>
>Ted.

There is a problem I've noticed that might be related to this. When I run the
synthesised drum sounds in Yoshimi Things like open Hi Hat, Crash Cymbal with a
long tail (but can be muted) get cut short by Rosegarden, compared with directly
driven by a keyboard. This means I can't vary the tail length. Those that have
a fixed length tail independent of note-off aren't bothered.

Will.

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk