A number of friction points have to be eliminated if we are to
automatically "hook up" players in healthcare EDI.   Unsolicited
transactions from providers to payers (or even Payer-to-Payer, in the
COB Model) would have to be supported without onerous up-front
enrollment and coordination if our dreams of frictionless HIPAA
e-commerce are to be realized. The discussion of companion guides arose
out of the original thread entitled "Non-participating/out of network
providers."  Heretofore, the lack of standard transactions may have been
one of the primary reasons providers did not electronically engage
infrequently encountered payers - as opposed to vague and unspecified
"financial reasons."

Now that standard transactions are available, one-off implementation
guides are no longer an impediment to the free exchange of healthcare
administrative transactions - that is, unless these "companion" guides
get out of hand.  As I've amply demonstrated, this is starting to
happen: if each payer insists on arbitrarily changing the syntax and
meaning of the HIPAA standard transactions through their "companion"
guides (as CMS has done), there may be less point in removing the other
barriers to exchanging transactions (e.g., paper enrollment).

Companion guides were meant to assist partners so they could understand
what pieces of information you are going to extract from the standard
transactions and how they would be used in adjudication.  I don't even
think there's a "fine line" between "we will use the tax ID in
preference to the DUNS for identifying providers" or "all amounts are
expected to be in U.S. Dollars" - (carefully phrased semantic usages) -
and wholesale rewrites of the HIPAA IG syntax rules.  The former can
probably be handled quite elegantly, for example, by the sender always
including the Tax ID and DUNS, if available - as recipients can't demand
that information they don't need be excluded. Unfortunately, changing
the syntax usages requires separate maps or similar gymnastics for each
partner.  There's no need to bring this issue up on the Transactions
listserve unless Paul Weber or others here fear that the purpose of
companion guides is widely misunderstood.

Our CPP electronic partner profile can support companion guides;  left
to determine is just how automated we can make that support. Since (well
thought out and HIPAA compliant) companion guides are part of the
process of setting up new partners, discussion of them is obviously
relevant to our goal of using the CPP to automatically configure partner
profile information.

William J. Kammerer
Novannet, LLC.
Columbus, US-OH 43221-3859