----- Original Message -----
From: William J. Kammerer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: WEDi/SNIP ID & Routing <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2002 9:19 AM
Subject: More Stuff and Questions on Routing Identifiers

> I noticed that the 835 guide does not have the ABA Routing Identifier
> listed as one of the permissible codes for the Interchange ID Qualifier
> in the ISA.  Wouldn't the ABA Routing Identifier typically be used as
> the receiver ID for payment orders (835) to banks?  Can you even route a
> payment order through a clearinghouse (or VAN) to a bank, or do you
> always have to "hook" up with your bank directly?

There are two ways the healthcare remittance is handled:

1.  The 835 is attached to the money document (ACH) and goes to the bank;  the
bank strips the remittance advice and forwards to the payee (provider).

2.  The payer initiates the funds transfer to the bank and simultaneously
creates a remittance advice which is sent directly to the payee (or his service
bureau).

The mechansm employed is stated by code value in element one of the BPR segment
of the '835' document. (In healthcare, I have only seen method #2 used).

However, there are also remittance transactions in which there is no money
involved - there are notices and advice that a payee's credit/debit balance with
a payer has been adjusted.

> Can anyone help out here?  Am I the only one who thinks the HIPAA IGs
> use IDs in kind of a "loosey-goosey" fashion?

Having worked on payer-end software, I will tell you the problem: Two years ago
the "national payer IDs" and "national provider IDs"  were "imminent" and plans
were made to use them in the electronic transactions.

They are not here yet, so other identifiers methods must be used. Which, in a
way, is the whole reason for the subgroup on trading partner capability and
identification.

I just do not see why all payers should not be required to support something
common, say, DUNS number.  There are only two or three thousand payers so its
not like we have to worry about getting numbers for the 350,000 providers in the
US.

One other  problem vis-a-vis  identifiers: Over the years, there has been misuse
and abuse of the ISA identifiers by many firms (and not just in healthcare!).
If we recall from our ANSI EDI 101 class, the ISA-IEA envelope was originally
called "the communications envelope" and was to be used ONLY to insure the
interchange was routed to the correct party. Applications identifiers were not
to be found until the GS-GE envelope.

Unfortunately, many firms did not obey these rules when entering the world of
ANSI EDI, and I suspect they are now just trying to avoid correcting their
systems.

On the other hand, the new EDI-traders coming onstream because of the HIPAA have
no such bad habits (yet); it behooves the interested to make sure the
communications envelope is used only for that purpose.

As an applications guy, I can tell you that if an interchange gets to me, it's
pretty simple to split that interchange into functional groups and route to the
correct appplications systems.  (Damn, am I promoting the 'original intent' of
the framers?).

Those who used identifiers for other than the original intent?  Tough. As the
Pennzoil man says, "pay me now or pay me later."  It is now later.

Michael Mattias
Tal Systems, Inc.
Racine WI
[EMAIL PROTECTED]