Chris:

We're in luck: there are already a number of standard formats out there
for representing implementation guides (or IG-like companion guides) in
a machine-readable format:

(1) IMPDEF, a standard UN/EDIFACT message, at
http://www.unece.org/trade/untdid,
(2) gXML (Guideline XML) at http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/gxml.html,
(3) SEF, the Standards Exchange Format, and
(4) igML, the Implementation Guide Markup Language, at
http://www.oasis-open.org/cover/igml.html

You'll see that some discussion of representing HIPAA companion guides
in IMPDEF has already ensued on the EDI-L mailing; see Rachel's posting
from Wednesday (below). I've invited some of the proponents of these
various formats to join us - perhaps they can educate us as to the
advantages of their respective favorites!

I don't care which of these is used, though I guess if we handled
companion guides at all, I might have a slight preference for some kind
of XML format - in order to be consistent with most of the other machine
readable stuff pointed by the ebXML CPP electronic partner profile. The
fact that I devised both SEF and igML - and practically invented the
whole concept of machine-readable implementation guides over a decade
ago (while I was a high school intern because I'm really, really
young) -  should not bias our selection.

William J. Kammerer
Novannet, LLC.
Columbus, US-OH 43221-3859
+1 (614) 487-0320