Title: XML-RPC via SSL via proxy server

Hello,

We are using XML-RPC over HTTPS from within an applet. It works fine until the browser is setup to use a proxy server. In this case we get the following IOException in the client:

Caused by: java.io.IOException: Unable to tunnel through proxy. Proxy returns "HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request ( The data is invalid.  )"

    at org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcClient$Worker.execute(XmlRpcClient.java:444)
    at org.apache.xmlrpc.XmlRpcClient.execute(XmlRpcClient.java:163)

Our code does the following:

URL rpcURL = new URL(getCodeBase(), "/servlet/RpcServlet");
XmlRpcClient xmlrpc = new XmlRpcClient(rpcURL);
xmlrpc.execute(..., ....);

Since the applet jar files HTML page is loaded over https, then the above rpcURL is https:// etc.

I have read that "Sun's Java Secure Socket Extension (JSSE) library allows you to access a secure Web server from behind a firewall via proxy tunnelling. However, JSSE expects the proxy's reply to the tunnelling request to begin with "HTTP 1.0"; otherwise, it throws an IOException"   (http://www.javaworld.com/javatips/jw-javatip111_p.html)

Could this be causing the problem?

Does XML-RPC allow us to overcome this problem? I notice that the XmlRpcClient constructor allows us to pass in a XmlRpcTransportFactory. Should we be passing an instance of your SunSSLTransportFactory?

Many thanks

mark

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed.  If you are not the intended recipient, you should not copy, retransmit or use the e-mail and/or files transmitted with it  and should not disclose their contents. In such a case, please notify [EMAIL PROTECTED] and delete the message from your own system. Any opinions expressed in this e-mail and/or files transmitted with it that do not relate to the official business of this company are those solely of the author and should not be interpreted as being endorsed by this company.