On Sun, Jun 03, 2007, Jeff Johnson wrote:

>  Kicking popt out of rpm doesn't exactly specify where popt should go.
>
>  Establishing a bona-fide upstream for popt is necessary
>  to really split popt from rpm. That is a positively, rather than
>  a negatively, expressed goal, and so is likelier to succeed
>  in the long run.
>
>  Ralf: Can we set up a single popt mailing list and
>  a popt distribution directory through rpm5.org?

The distribution directory simply can be http://rpm5.org/files/popt/
(that's one of the reason why I initially moved the "rpm-X.Y" subdirs
into an extra top-level subdir "rpm" anyway). An own mailing list
technically is also easy to provide, but I recommend to not create
an own mailing list just for POPT. POPT is a neat little library but
I doubt we will have enough traffic just related to POPT. Wouldn't
it be fully sufficient to _distribute_ POPT seperately from RPM in
its own subdir but still keep the discussions on rpm-devel? If no,
I'm happy to create a [EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing list. I just think
this is a little bit overkill... Anyway, please already start filling
http://rpm5.org/files/popt/ now. This separate directory is certainly
very useful.

BTW, for POPT 1.10.8 and 1.10.9 there are no tarballs, too. I
recommend to move the popt-* files from http://rpm5.org/files/rpm/
to http://rpm5.org/files/popt/ now and extract the two corresponding
tarballs for 1.10.8 and 1.10.9, too. Ok?

>  That's likely enough signification to establish popt as an
>  upstream project. Then I will remove popt from the rpm-4_5
>  branch in rpm sources.
>
>  OTOH, I'm not sure what problem is actually solved. However I've
>  been asked for separate popt every 6 months or so for years and years.

IMHO as long as POPT is available as RPMs and Tarballs in its own
http://rpm5.org/files/popt/ this should be really fully sufficient.

                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                       www.engelschall.com