On Friday, 08 June 2007, at 18:09:07 (-0400),
Jeff Johnson wrote:

> Direct access to an rpmdb requires locking, and shared read locks
> are a DoS for exclusive write locks, and vice versa, no matter what.
>
> So custom automagic exports avoid the locking issues associated with
> direct access to an rpmdb. Note that other locking issues are
> possibly introduced because the export/update may have issues with
> whatever some application desires, but at least the locking is finer
> grained, with less contention, than having every application
> competing for rpmdb access.

Which would also be true for the daemon.  Obviously it wouldn't be
able to have permanent locks on the DB, but something with
fam/imon/poll to watch for rpmdb changes, lock, update, unlock...would
that be reasonable?

>  So what's nutty about using del.icio.us instead of rpmfind.net?

I'm all for using tags as a replacement for Group: which went up a
creek the moment other distros stopped giving two hoots about
/usr/share/doc/rpm-4*/GROUPS.

Are you also advocating using del.icio.us as an rpm search engine?
I'm not sure how that would be better than updating rpmfind.net to use
tags, as it is a niche engine where del.icio.us (which I'm *really*
starting to hate typing, BTW :P) is all-purpose.

A delicious search on "rpm" revealed that rpm is related to "music."
Neato. :-)

Michael

--
Michael Jennings (a.k.a. KainX)  http://www.kainx.org/  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 "I will be there for you, with these five words I swear to you.