On Jun 15, 2007, at 10:01 AM, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:

On Fri, Jun 15, 2007, Jeff Johnson wrote:

    linux amd64/ppc cannot reuse a va_list. make a copy instead.

The use of va_copy is the right fix. Unfortunately, from my experiences
I know that va_copy is still a horribly unportable thing. We at least
need some rather complex Autoconf glue to not break the portability
of POPT here. BTW, what is currently at the top of rpmio/rpmlog.c
is unfortunately not sufficient. Furtunately, I've already coded a
sufficiently complete enough Autoconf glue once in the past. I'll fix
it.

There's more than portability that I question with the patch.

If every program needs to do encoding conversions on
fprintf arguments, well, what use are PO files?

Michael Jennings explained the need, that there are too many
encodings, So utf8 encoding with application iconv is easier
distribution to manage. That apparently is what GNOME is doing.

Thanks for the double check-in fix.