On Wednesday 11 of July 2007, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 11, 2007, Arkadiusz Miskiewicz wrote:
> > Try this:
> > ./configure LDFLAGS="-Wl,--as-needed"
> >
> > It will fail miserably because things are not linked properly.
>
> It's like in the patient/doctor joke: "Patient: 'Doctor, it hurts when I
> do this'. Doctor: 'Well, then just don't do it'"...

as-needed is like vaccine which helps prevent some (described in this thread)
problems before these happen and injection hurts, too.

> Seriously, the current linking approach certainly is a little bit
> peculiar on the first spot and doesn't work "as expected" for various
> special approaches like your --as-needed above.
>
> But I've really investigated here very deep for us and AFAIK the current
> approach IMHO is the only _really_ portable way to reasonably _balance
> out_ all the issues related to the RPM libraries, their third-party
> dependencies and especially the various way the RPM libraries and their
> third-party dependencies can be built and installed.

I'm thinking about leaving thing as is + add option
like --enable-direct-linking which would cause each librpmXXX to be linked
with libs that it uses directly. Not sure if this will work (due to
interdeps), have to test first.

That helps me and ALT and doesn't break others.

>                                        Ralf S. Engelschall

For those interested - more details about --as-needed:
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/asneeded.xml
--
Arkadiusz Miƛkiewicz        PLD/Linux Team