On Jul 31, 2007, at 6:34 PM, Mark Hatle wrote:

Jeff Johnson wrote:

On Jul 31, 2007, at 2:40 PM, Mark Hatle wrote:

From a brief reading of the thread, the one item that popped up that
would be nice to figure out a solution for is in:

https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2007-July/ msg01553.html

Have a way to disable certain provides or requires that show up
automatically via a filter mechanism.

I know this is a constant source of pain for me especially w/ perl
scripts. (Yes I know I could hack on the perldeps helper.. but I'm not
convinced thats worth the pain...)

Better automation and better QA on dependencies, not yet more bells
and widgets for the package monkeys to tinker with, is the only win imho.

Truly, how hard is it to sed out a token from a stream? Is it really
necessary
to wrap up sed for the monkeys?

Seding out a token from a stream works, show me where (as the package
monkey) to do this.

All helpers have an associated macro defining the invocation.

For ELF, you're out of luck. chmod -x instead.

I think that is the ultimate problem.  You are required as a package
monkey to work within the confines of the built in dependency systems.
Setting things -x turns off ALL dependency scanning, which generally
isn't what is desired either.  Usually when I encounter this, I see a
problem where 95% of the dependencies are correct and 5% are wrong.

All files are associated with only one extractor. I'm not sure what ALL means to you.

For perl, a blacklist might be the right solution, but what about other
dependency types...  How (as a package monkey) can I add to the
blacklist for just my package.

I absolutly despise the way some packagers are forced to turn off the
internal dependency generator and provide their own.  IMHO this is the
wrong solution.  Adding a dep blacklist or whatever is the way for
someone to disable dependencies they know are bogus..  "-x" is how you
disable dependency generation for an entire item... (using a blacklist
to remove the deps for a full item is wrong IMHO...)

Noone said turn off the internal dependency extraction.

I did say discvover which file(s) are causing the dependency, do chmod -x on those files, and add a %attr(...) to put the execute bit on if absolutely necessary.

That mechanism is explicitly in the spec file, and has a prayer of functioning with all versions of rpm since the internal elf dependency extraction was implemented.

Adding black lists, or custom dependency filters to the build system, are intrinsically at
odds with "reproducible builds".

Adding a filter mechanism isn't impossibly hard either, that was part of the reason for
adding rpmio/mire.c as an explicit API.

But I don't believe filtering is any harder than sed'ing token off a stream. Which you, and others,
seem incapable of discovering how to do.