2013/8/26 Jeffrey Johnson <n3...@me.com>

> On Aug 26, 2013, at 2:19 PM, Per Øyvind Karlsen wrote:
>
> > The following patch fixes querying rpmdb with wildcards, whereas without
> this fix, it'll return all entries and not just those matching.
> >

> The issue of wildcard queries is/was discussed years ago when implemented,
> and the  behavior
> implemented is/was as decided (for "legacy compatible" and "principle of
> least surprise" reasons)
> at the time.
>
> Discuss the feature, providing explicit usage cases and tests, under the
> existing CI framework
> if you wish the patch applied "upstream" @rpm5.org. I need to see
> "consensus", not "de facto",
> before enabling "wild hacks" (other than my own) in RPM releases.

We actually discussed this one quite a while a ago, where you acknowledged
it yourself (the regression were introduced here:
http://rpm5.org/cvs/chngview?cn=16299 )

I've provided you with a trivial reproducer, but considering the large
amount of patches I have in queue, I don't really have the time nor that
much incentive for starting on writing accompanying regression tests,
especially not when I'm not overly existed about how the current regression
tests are implemented/maintained, nor is my motivation for writing
regression tests for (yet a bunch of) bug fix patches I maintain locally
for a package.
If commit access were restored, doing more of that kind maintenance work
again would be of greater interest, but when not, I'm not very eager to
take on responsibilities with the resulting tediousness..

> I personally have no interest in enabling foolish/sloppy queries on a
> random "feature" walk through
> patch streams of unknown viability, and poorly understood consequences, @
> rpm5.org, particularly
> when I am obligated to do the maintenance work to respond to future flaws
> and objections of other people's
> efforts.
>
> Last I heard you were too discouraged to undertake the reasonably sane
> effort(s) that
> are needed ... YMMV.

And I'm now trying to, am I not? :)
Seriously speaking, a lot of things came up and in the way for things, but
I will at least sporadically be trying to push all ~fixes for now, then get
back to ~features etc. with blueprints provided and code cleaned up
whenever I find the time. :)

> Short answer (which I have said many times already):
>         A blueprint at http://launchpad.net/rpm is the starting point for
> new "feature" deployment.

This isn't a feature, but rather a bug fix.

--
Regards,
Per Øyvind