On 01/16/2017 02:51 AM, Neal Gompa wrote:
On Sun, Jan 15, 2017 at 11:43 AM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040...@freenet.de> wrote:
On 01/15/2017 04:03 PM, Neal Gompa (ニール・ゴンパ) wrote:

I'm not sure how true it is, but it seems to bear out with the number of
previously BDB users now being LMDB users.

Unless a different DB offers substantial advantages over BDB to RPM, which
does not endanger or destabilize rpm, I do not see any reason to switch
different DB.

BDB 5 is unmaintained. There's no one upstream working on it, since
Oracle has moved onto BDB 6. No one wants to use BDB 6. RPM should not
depend on dead software. And there are significant performance
advantages to LMDB, according to various benchmarks[1].And LMDB looks
like it could enable making the RPMDB to be more resilient[2].

[1]:
https://symas.com/products/lightning-memory-mapped-database/project-benchmarks/
[2]:
https://symas.com/products/lightning-memory-mapped-database/feature-comparison/

Lies, statistics, benchmarks, vendor benchmarks... ditto with feature comparisons.

BDB5 being unmaintained is a real concern though.

        - Panu -