On Jun 11, 2011, at 12:45 PM, Sriram Narayanan wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> I've got some questions:
> 1. Which rpm5 should we consider ?
> I see that the website still mentioned 5.3.6 as stable, and 5.3.7 as
> testing, though 5.3.11 was released a few days ago.

Releases are time based, there's a release at the beginning of each month.

The benefit there is that a "fix" opportunity is never more than 30 days away.
The cost of monthly releases means that there's less time to detect and
report issues (but "continuous integration" builds under buildbots
detect most obvious failures).

The rpm-5_3 branch is the "production" branch. So there's no
new "features" to speak of and no reason not to prefer the latest
afaik. Any issues reported will be dealt with as rapidly as possible.

> This is just a case of the website not being updated ?

Yes.

> 2. What are the plans for rpm 5.4 ?

ATM, rpm-5.4 is essentially the same as rpm-5.3, a place for
fixes to be devised for Mandriva.

Attempting multi-threaded installs is likely in rpm-5.4, as
is switching from C -> C++ for building. (Note that all that is
anticpated is a build with CC=g++ not a rewrite into C++).

> Is this what will be the next development branch ? Would it be fine

Yes.

> for the Belenix team to stick to rpm 5.3.11 for the next three months
> while we get other stuff sorted out and to then move to 5.4 (or
> newer), or should we look at that right now ?

rpm 5.3.x are the best "production" bits available atm.

> 3. What is the reality about rpm6 ?

The reality is that I unplugged a DNS record for 10 days and then
plugged it back in.

> I was trying to figure out how to initialize an rpmdb and I searched
> for "mandriva rpm5" and I ended up at some pages that are talking
> about rpm6.org.
> I checked and saw that rpm6.org gets us back to rpm5.org.

Yep. That will likely change this summer. I haven't a clue how or why yet …

> What's the real news, and what are the community directions ? I've not
> seen any discussion around this on the rpm5 mailing lists.

Not much to discuss. It's nobody's "business" but mine, no "community" there at
all,
just a bunch of gawking gossiping phear mongering and FUD sucking paparazzi ...

73 de Jeff