On Aug 1, 2011, at 4:42 AM, Michael Baudisch wrote:

> Hello,
> i do some tests with RPM and somehow "bad" packages. When I pass a "bad" test
> package to RPM I observered that there's an error like "error: open of
> blablabla failed".  The package is a plain text file  with .rpm extension
> containing only "blablabla".
> But when I put this "blablabla" in squared brackets ("[Blablabla]") there's
> no error.
> So, what is the magic that does RPM not detect/report a corrupt package? Are
> there other circumstances under which RPM does not detect/report a "bad"
> package? Thanks for help in advance.

What rpm version?

All input arguments that are not *.rpm packages
are treated as a manifest of *.rpm packages.

The manifest is split on white space and each item is added
at that position in the argument list.

Not reporting is not the same as not detecting.
Did rpm actually attempt to install anything?

73 de Jeff
User Communication List                             rpm-users@rpm5.org