Thanks! According to all of that, I found the best solution just for now, is to rename rpm -> rpm.exec and make a 'rpm' script that executes rpm.exec --noparentdirs $* all the time unless I don't want it, I can use rpm.exec itself.

On Sun, 04 Sep 2011 21:20:33 +0200, devzero2000 <pinto.e...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 4:47 PM, Jeff Johnson <n3...@mac.com> wrote:

On Jun 4, 2010, at 2:55 AM, Belal Salem wrote:

> Hi there!
> I issued the same issue before, when installing some packages, the RPM
package manager doesn't create the required folders and ask for the folders as unresolved dependencies, although those folders are part of the package
being installed.

Its "part of the package" which is confusing.

There are two meanings for "part of the package":

1) directory components as part of file paths
2) directory explicitly listed in "rpm -qpl *.rpm"

If its not explicitly in the file manifest, its not "part of the package"
and you *will* see what you are reporting.

> Recompiling RPM with the options: --disable-dirname-and-symlink-deps
didn't solve the problem, anyway through that?!

I'm not the person to "fix" --disable-dirname-and-symlink-deps.

My fix will be to rip out the "Have it your own way!" functionality that
isn't "working"
and remove the
       --disable-dirname-and-symlink-deps
in order to simplify RPM's build and clarify "supported" functionality. I
see
no future in carrying around functionality that doesn't work as it should
and is "vendor supported" by others here @rpm5.org.

I will rip out the option if it isn't fixed by someone else @rpm5.org
this month.

No, it is right that i rip out the option tomorrow. I have introduced it,
it is equivalent to "vendor supported" - i am pretty sure -  but probably
don't work as it should. But if so there should be a spec with
directory-symlink broken deps that does not work even in Mandriva for
example. I would love to see this spec, possibly for tomorrow. Perhaps ark
linux and mandriva could be find useful. Thanks. Best Regards

PS

FWIW, this is description of this disabler
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/rpm/+spec/rpm-split-vendor-config-in-autofu.
<https://blueprints.launchpad.net/rpm/+spec/rpm-split-vendor-config-in-autofu>

<goog_702910032>The idea was to simplify bootstrapping distributions that do
not use rpm5 as a package manager or that are broken from a  QA POW
such  as RHEL5:
in short for simplify rpm5 adoption in first place. I am sure someone @
rpm5.org had used patch - not upstream - similar for RHEL5. My memory is not so bad, i have seen this in a mail some year ago. The old dog can have good
memory, yes.

The idea was

73 de Jeff

User Communication List                             rpm-users@rpm5.org