> Use "noarch". What would be kinda spiffy is to automate lipo
> under RPM control and strip out the unused architectures
> in universal executables (and if one "trusts" the automated dependencies
> are accurate) the libraries.
>
> I've also been waiting (like 8 years now, sigh) to internalize MACH-O
> like ELF in RPM. Using "helper" scripts like find-requires/find-provides
> is fine of now, but an implementation in C is precise and accurate
> and maintainable in a way that scripts will never be.

We should stay careful about architecture.

Apple moved from 68k to PowerPC, and then to x86 (32 and 64 bits).
And who knows what future processor they could bring in desktop :)

Also, Xcode build tools may stop supporting PowerPC in a near future,
so packages will lost their 'universal' architecture.
I recall some packages who need to go up to Assembly level and I'm not
sure OSX build tools could embed many builds in a single binary.

But for now, x86 (32/64bits) is a general consensus
User Communication List                             rpm-users@rpm5.org