On Sat, Jan 5, 2013 at 11:10 AM, Jeffrey Johnson <n3...@me.com> wrote:

> Second, you're right, I'm using rpm 4.8 from RHEL.  It's the only choice I
> have.
>

> OK.
>
> FYI: there's not enough difference to worry about between @rpm.org <-> @
> rpm5.org.
>
> The goals are more different than the code is: RHEL "support" is a deadly
> sea-anchor
> to change. So @rpm5.org has more -- and more aggresive -- features.

Unfortunately, enterprise customers generally have artificial requirements
that force them to use tools that have support.  Without RHEL, they almost
certainly would have gone Microsoft.

> Next, at least in my case, setting the -x flag doesn't change anything.
>

> I have the following line in the %install section

find $RPM_BUILD_ROOT -name \*.so\* -exec chmod -x {} \;

prior to packaging, no shared libraries have the executable bit set.  I
think this is what you meant.

As for the dependencies, you're correct in that there is no reason to
suspect that they aren't required.  The problem I'm experiencing is that
all the dependencies that are required are being supplied by the local
package, but RPM is generating external dependencies because it sees the
need for a Requires and isn't noticing that it was supplied as a Provides.

Note that there may be a typo: note the extra '/' character within
parentheses:

Error: Package: endeca-toolsandframeworks-3.1.1-1.el6.x86_64
(/endeca-toolsandframeworks-3.1.1-1.el6.x86_64)
           Requires: endeca-mdex=6.4.0

See if that is in the package requirements
rpm -qp --requires endeca-toolsandframeworks-3.1.1-1.el6.x86_64.rpm

That is interesting.  I'm building a multi-subpackage RPM, and endeca-mdex
is a requirement for endeca-toolsandframeworks.
Here is the relevant package section from my spec