On Jan 21, 2014, at 3:03 AM, Rajul Bhavsar <rajulbhav...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In my build root directory, I have created a file (say temp.txt) and then I
> created a hard-link to it (say temp1.txt). After this, I created rpm out of
> build root directory. On installing this rpm I see that i-node numbers of
> both files are same; that means rpm is aware of this hard-link and creating
> the same on rpm installation.
>
> But, I am not able to understand how rpm has treated this hard-link with a
> .rpm file.
> For example, I have a file with 5k size. On duplicating it, rpm size
> increased by ~2.5k but with hard-link it increased by 1.9k. What is this
> 1.9k? Is this totally a metadata about hard-link or something else?
>
> Please help me in understanding this hard-link handling.

The size change is likely in the cpio payload in a *.rpm package because
rpm doesn’t track hard links directly, uses the inode info to infer hard links.

You can see all metadata with
        rpm -qp —yaml  somepackage.rpm
There is also —xml if you prefer the eye-scratchy angle bracket syntax.

hth

73 de Jeff

User Communication List                             rpm-users@rpm5.org