Kyle,

On 27 January 2011 at 10:45, Kyle Covington wrote:
| Hello,
|
| (Ubuntu system)
|
| Sometimes when I try; import rpy2.robjects as ro
| I get the error libR.so not found.
|
| I have seen this posted on several lists as a problem with the solution that I
| need to tell rpy2 where libR.so is.  It is in /usr/lib/R/lib/ which is where
| os.environ thinks it should be.
|
| Is there a definitive solution for this.  It seems to occur on some systems
| but not others.  Is there some patch that can be made to
| rpy3.rinterface.__init__.py that would help rpy2 to better find libR.so?  I
| see on the Windows block that it adds R/lib to the path explicitly, might this
| also be possible in a linux system?

R needs to be configured and built with the --enable-R-shlib option.

One way to ensure this is to use the Ubuntu builds, either from the distro
release or (preferably as it gets you newer R releases) from CRAN. See

        http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/ubuntu/

Dirk

--
Dirk Eddelbuettel | e...@debian.org | http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com