Found the culprit. It was RubyAMF.

We've emailed them about it.

In the meantime, for anyone else who might encounter this problem,
changing line 188 of controller_example_group from:
                 super(options, deprecated_status, &block)
to:
                 super(options, &block)

Makes all the specs pass.

Obviously not a desirable permanent change... but at least until
RubyAMF gets fixed.

Thanks for the help all!

Daniel