On Sat, Oct 18, 2008 at 2:34 AM, William Tozier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I'm trying to set up cucumber so we can try it in some Ruby automation
> scripts I'm working on. These will be straight Ruby, for use in BBEdit and
> TextMate (on the Mac).
>
> NOT Rails.
>
> The big early-stage stumbling block I'm having is setting up the initial
> Rakefile and directory structure. I think I'm rtfm'ing, but clearly I'm
> missing whatever I need to get past square one.
>
> We'll be working on Leopard boxes, with clean and up-to-date gem installs
> across the board. Most of our coding is in TextMate, and the cucumber gem
> works AOK already. All the gems seem to be here, and the example files in
> the cucumber repository work as expected.
>
> But I'm not understanding what a minimal setup for a NEW project should be.
>
> * I need a Rakefile... but with what exactly in it? Many of the examples are
> different, and at least a few fail to run on my box (but that's external
> dependencies). What's the bare minimum I need to have in a plain, empty
> Rakefile?

This:
http://github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber/tree/master/examples/calculator/Rakefile

> * A cucumber.yml file, which as I understand it is only needed if I want to
> set params away from defaults.

You don't need that - I've removed it from the Calculator example
since it might be confusing for newcomers.

> * A "fixtures" directory... but with what necessary subdirectories in it?

features/
+--*.features
+--steps/
    +--*_steps.rb

> * A "lib" directory sometimes... but not in all examples?

Using lib is just a Ruby/Ruby gems convention. You should adjust your
$LOAD_PATH to include it.
Some examples are simple, so they have the code straight in the steps
file. I thought it was obvious that this is not what you'd do on a
real project, but rather stick it in lib like 98% of all other Ruby
projects do.

> Am I missing a simple generator script somewhere in the base cucumber
> install? NOT for Rails -- just for a plain Ruby project?

There is none - you're the first to ask for it.

> Thanks very much. Again, all I'd really like to do is see a noobs'
> walkthrough like:
> (1) create an empty project directory
> (2) build standard directory tree
> (3) clone in standard Rakefile
> (4) get started speccing.
>
> (2) and (3) are my problem.

Please file individual tickets for things you're missing (docs,
generator) and someone will hopefully get to it.

Aslak