Hi,

On Wed, Mar 14, 2012 at 07:55, Mohamad El-Husseini
<husseini....@gmail.com> wrote:
> The following are what I believe two ways of doing the same thing. Only the
> first example fails, while the latter passes.

In your failing example:

   context "generates a unique password_reset_token each time" do
      let(:user) { FactoryGirl.create(:user) }
      before do
        user.send_password_reset
        last_token = user.password_reset_token
        user.send_password_reset
      end
      its(:password_reset_token) { should_not == last_token }
    end

The `last_token` variable is in scope in the before block, but not in
the its block. You can fix this by changing it to an instance
variable:

   context "generates a unique password_reset_token each time" do
      let(:user) { FactoryGirl.create(:user) }
      before do
        user.send_password_reset
        @last_token = user.password_reset_token
        user.send_password_reset
      end
      its(:password_reset_token) { should_not == @last_token }
    end

Another gotcha is: what is the its expression making assertions on?
The its method requires a subject to be defined.

RSpec defines an implicit subject based on the described class. I
imagine at the top of your .spec file you have something like:

  describe User do
    # stuff
  end

RSpec will generate a subject by calling `User.new`.
`password_reset_token` is then called on this new user instance in the
its block. You most certainly wanted to call `password_reset_token` on
the user object defined by the `let` statement.

So I think this should do the trick:

   context "generates a unique password_reset_token each time" do
      let(:user) { FactoryGirl.create(:user) }
      subject { user }
      before do
        user.send_password_reset
        @last_token = user.password_reset_token
        user.send_password_reset
      end
      its(:password_reset_token) { should_not == @last_token }
    end

You can read more about RSpec's subject here:

  https://www.relishapp.com/rspec/rspec-core/docs/subject

Hope that helps,
Mike