I must admit that I'm guilting of commenting out tests. I often do this
when I know that the code works, and I just upgraded some gem, and now one
of my tests no longer passes. I look at the test and realize that the
effort it would take to get the test to work outweighs the value that the
test provides me. (This is a general frustration for me that testing takes
more time than coding.)

I just did a quick scan of my main rails project (one that's been around
for four years) and has ~700 tests. I found two kinds of commented out
tests. About 12 of these commented tests look real and I should spend some
time and see why they are there. About 10 of these commented tests look
like I was brainstorming pending tests, I implemented them another way, but
never bothered cleaning them up.

In the spirit of clean code, I'll take a moment to clean house. Thanks
James!

Todd Sedano
Director of Software Engineering
Carnegie Mellon University