On Aug 22, 2012, at 10:36 AM, David Chelimsky wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 9:16 AM, J. B. Rainsberger <m...@jbrains.ca> wrote:
>> On Wed, Aug 22, 2012 at 10:07 AM, David Chelimsky <dchelim...@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> never() is not a catch all for _all_ messages. It is for a specific
>>> message, just like it is in rspec-mocks
>>>
>>>  # rspec
>>>  object.should_receive(:msg).never
>>>
>>>  #jmock
>>>  never(object).msg()
>>

>> In JMock, you can write this:
>>
>> never(object);
>>
>> and this means "never anything". Just like
>>
>> ignoring(object);
>> allowing(object);
>>
>> which each equate to mock().as_null_object().
>
> Perhaps it goes without saying, but I was not aware of that ;)
>
> As you noted earlier this thread (not quoted above) RSpec::Mocks::Mock
> instances (returned by double(), mock(), or stub()) are strict by
> default - e.g. they'll complain about any unexpected messages.
> Obviously that does not account for any real objects.
>
> I'm open to adding an API for this, but not
> object.should_receive(:nothing) since that syntax is for declaring
> expected messages.

+1 for me. I've found myself on occasion using
should_not_receive(:some_message). OK, see a failing spec, make it pass, but
what about when the collaborator method is renamed. All those
should_not_receive expectations will still pass no matter what. It would be
great to have object.should_receive(:nothing) instead. This would make life
easier when collaborators are stubbed out with :as_null_object stubs.

-lenny