On Fri, 16 Jun 2017 12:34:40 +0200
Ben RUBSON via rsync <rsync@lists.samba.org> wrote:

> > On 15 Jun 2017, at 19:29, Karl O. Pinc via rsync
> > <rsync@lists.samba.org> wrote:

> > The problem is that the --server (and, especially,
> > --daemon) documentation has gone away.  Or at least
> > left the man page. (v3.1.1, Debian 8, Jessie)  Except
> > for a hint that --server exists at the bottom.
>
> Are you looking for `man rsyncd.conf` ?

No, that tells me what --daemon does; how to run rsync
as a server.  It does not tell me how to invoke rsync at the
remote end manually without doing server-side things
such as the reading of rsyncd.conf.

What I want documened is how to use a customized
transport that does not allow the client side to
send arbirtrary commands to the remote end.
The sort of thing done when using
ssh with keys and the command= option within an
authorized_keys file.

As mentioned, now I use command="rsync --server --daemon ."
in my authorized_keys file.
I once figured this out from old rsync man pages, but don't
see how to glean this command sequence from a more recent
man page.

Again, I might (eventually) get around to sending
in a man page patch if somebody explains how it's done.

Regards,

Karl <k...@meme.com>
                 -- Robert A. Heinlein