Hello Wayne

Thank you very much for trying to help,

I have the following three observations:

1) As recommended, I have searched the manual of rsync in order to try
   to find your interpretation about what is going on but the only relevant
   fact that I was able to find was how rsync defines unsafe links:

     Symbolic links are considered unsafe if  they  are  absolute
     symlinks (start with /), empty, or if they contain enough ".."
     components to ascend from the directory being copied.

   In my case  (I copy and paste below my original example for commodity)

   TST/
   +-- outside1
   |    |
   |    +-- outside1-file.txt

   +-- outside2-file.txt

   +-- tree
        +-- inside.txt

        +-- lnk-ans.txt -> ../../ans.txt

        +-- o1-file.txt -> ../outside1/outside1-file.txt

        +-- o1-folder -> ../outside1

        +-- o2-file.txt -> ../outside2-file.txt

   when I run the commands

       $ cd TST
       $ rsync --copy-unsafe-links -avz --delete tree XXX

   In my opinion

       tree/o1-file.txt
       tree/o1-folder
       tree/o2-file.txt

   contain enough .. to ascend from the directory being copied (which
   is "tree")

2) I've also taken into account your observation that

    In this case, the "tree" directory is a part of the transfer
    inside the top-of-transfer dir (the current directory)

   which seems unusual to me (because in my case the directory being
   copied is "tree" and not the current directory (am I missing something?))
   and started the command rsync command from a another folder:

   $ cd ~/dev
   $ rsync --copy-unsafe-links -avz --delete ~/tmp/TST/tree ~/tmp/XXX

   The result is the same

        ~/tmp/TST/tree/lnk-ans.txt

   is copied as a file

   And

        ~/tmp/TST/tree/o1-file.txt
        ~/tmp/TST/tree/o1-folder
        ~/tmp/TST/tree/o2-file.txt

   are copied as broken symblinks.

3) I don't think that the intended behavior of rsync is to consider safe
   the symlinks that point to files and folders that are located just above
   the directory being copied ("tree" in this case).

   If this would be the intended behavior, then there will not be possibile
   to specify that you want and entire directory to be copied (with copies
   of the files pointed by unsafe links), because independently of what you
   specify in the command line as the source tree to be copied there will
   always be the posibility that the tree contains some symlink that points
   to a file that is outside the subtree but located under the parent that
   contains the tree and this file will not be copied.

Best regards
Cristian

On Sun, Nov 28, 2021 at 12:53 PM Cristian via rsync <rsync@lists.samba.org>
wrote:

$ rsync --copy-unsafe-links -avz --delete tree XXX

In this case, the "tree" directory is a part of the transfer inside the
top-of-transfer dir (the current directory). Thus any symlinks that don't
try to escape the current directory are considered to be OK.  You should
instead suffix "tree" with a slash and add "tree" to your destination path:

$ rsync --copy-unsafe-links -aivz --delete tree/ host:/old/path/tree/

This is discussed in the man page
<https://download.samba.org/pub/rsync/rsync.1> (search for "unsafe").

..wayne..