On Wed, Aug 3, 2022 at 7:10 PM Dan Stromberg wrote:

> However, if you transfer a large amount of data and do not intend to
> retransmit that data any time soon, then the memory isn't really put to
> good use, and can actually cause your system to slow down significantly -
> particularly if there's a lot of such data transferred.

I have always rejected overcomplicating rsync with cache control code (the
complexity of a --drop-cache patch I saw was quite horrifying).  In the
past I pointed people towards https://github.com/Feh/nocache as one way to
get posix_fadvise used by an rsync copy.  That project now apparently
suggests creating a memory-bounded cgroup, which sounds interesting.

..wayne..