That's not the same as a read-back write verification.

I believe that in general, rsync assumes that the disk actually
wrote whatever it was told to write.

However, a second pass with --checksum will, in fact, read the
entirety of both files; if a --checksum run doesn't actually
transfer anything, you can safely conclude the files are
byte-for-byte[1] identical (or you have a serious low-level problem
where the disk is lying to you, which rsync is definitely not going
to be able to fix).

[1]: Technically they might not be byte-for-byte identical if you
somehow get identical hashing blocks, but Schneier once compared
that sort of thing to the survival time of a mouse on the surface of
the sun, so....  :D