Bugs item #25998, was opened at 2009-05-22 01:34
You can respond by visiting:
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=575&aid=25998&group_id=126

Category: documentation
Group: None

Initial Comment:
While reading chapter 5 of the user guide
(http://rubygems.org/read/chapter/16), in the section about
PessimisticVersionContraints, I came across this:

-----
...Doing this is cumbersome, so RubyGems provides a pessimistic operator ~~>
(read: approximately greater than). Using the pessimistic operator, we get:

gem 'library', '> 2.2'
-----

The pessimistic operators is first said to be '~~>', but the example uses '>'.
From trying these examples in irb, I think both are wrong, and the correct
operator is '~>'. So I think the section should read:

-----
...Doing this is cumbersome, so RubyGems provides a pessimistic operator ~>
(read: approximately greater than). Using the pessimistic operator, we get:

gem 'library', '~> 2.2'
-----

Also there is a minor formatting problem, the text "(read: approximately
greater than). Using the pessimistic operator, we get:" uses the coding style
instead of the normal style.

Comment By: Nick Hildebrant (nihildeb)
Date: 2009-08-26 15:18

Message:
Documentation corrected.

Formatting issue is a problem in the textile rendering. ~something~ would make
something subscript. Textile does include escaping (\) but it doesn't seem to
be implemented in this implementation, and then even it is for a whole text
block, so it would not be possible to use on a code section.

recommend close