I am sorry, I did not understand you correctly. And I also have to
revise my understanding of the matter.

RFC2616, Section 2.2 says:

The TEXT rule is only used for descriptive field contents and values
that are not intended to be interpreted by the message parser. Words
of *TEXT MAY contain characters from character sets other than ISO-
8859-1 [22] only when encoded according to the rules of RFC 2047 [14].
       TEXT           = <any OCTET except CTLs,
                        but including LWS>

What seems to happen is that Firefox assumes the X-JSON header to
contain a ISO-8859-1 encoded value and performs a conversion
ISO-8859-1 -> UTF8. So multi-byte codepoint don't work.

I tried quoted printable but had no luck, but it might be just me. And
there is also the question how the various browsers handle this.