Please see this function for the last time. If its correct then I will
give you a online reproducible case.

I have created a new variable $num1 -->

function getHTML(num) {
        var saf = 0 ;
        var num1;
        if(!num) {
            num1 = $F('refid');
        } else {
            num1 = num;
        }
            var url = '/cgi-bin/tps/search.cgi';
                var pars = {num: num1,showallfiles: saf,act:
'showattachedfilesection'};
        new Ajax.Updater( {success: 'placeholder'}, url, {method:
'get',parameters: pars,evalScripts: true ,onFailure: reportError });
  }