Most of the time, as Adam suggested, the database would do this for you already.

But if it does not works, your table is just so large; it won't fit in the
memory. (I guess)

If the situation allow, try adding more memory to the database instances.
If the size of your data is not in the same ballpark as a server memory,
congratulations, your business are great.
In that case, I would try shading and using KV store instead of relational
database.

I never face something at that scale; I guess it depends on application also.

Not much I can input here but you can try searching articles related to
Twitter, they have the same problem in the past, and they were open about it,
you should find their materials easily.