Fugee-

when you switch from css to scss, you need to rename application.css to
application.scss and do the following:

*stop using //= require*

instead use @import always and from now on when using scss. Do not use *//=
require *syntax anymore

this is explained in the "IMPORTANT NOTE" at the top of the sass-rails docs:

https://github.com/rails/sass-rails#important-note

if you are trying to install Bootstrap, there are some bad tutorials on the
internet. I think one of them tells you to put the bootstrap.scss into your
application.js file. Don't do that.

instead backtrack on what you did and use webpack to install Bootstrap
(this is NOT the same as the 'old way' which you could still do on a Rails
6 app), simple instructions here :
https://gorails.com/forum/install-bootstrap-with-webpack-with-rails-6-beta

-jason