ACM Hypertext - Call For Participation

Registration is now live for ACM HyperText 2020 virtual conference July
13th-15th: https://projects.cah.ucf.edu/ht2020/registration/

The program overview: https://projects.cah.ucf.edu/ht2020/program/

The ACM International Conference on Hypertext and Social Media, known as
Hypertext, will be held this year for the first time online. Hypertext 2020 was
originally intended to be held in Orlando, Florida, USA, between July 13 and
15th at the University of Central Florida’s downtown campus. However, due to
the global pandemic, the leadership team has agreed that the only responsible
path forward is migrating online. The conference will be “virtually” co-located
with the Electronic Literature Organization Conference and Media Arts Festival,
with engagement events targeted at creating transdisciplinary conversation.
This year’s theme remains Hypertext for Social Good, a theme exemplified by the
work of our plenary speakers Safiya Noble, Noah Wardrip-Fruin, and Stuart
Moulthrop, and particularly urgent in this time of crisis and collective
action. We hope to see many of you “online” at Hypertext 2020!

We will be focusing on building community in this time of crisis. Hosted by the
University of Central Florida, the conference was originally intended to take
advantage of the proximity to the theme park capital of the world: an
international crossroad where hypertext narratives come to life in mixed
reality experiences inviting play but also demanding reflection on the changing
landscape of the web. Now, it will bring these same questions into a virtual
combination of synchronous and asynchronous discourse. While this conference is
still hosted by a “local” team at the University of Central Florida, the
realities of the global crisis have pushed us to make the socially responsible
move of pivoting to a virtual format. We will be keeping in mind the
recommendations of the ACM Virtual Conference preliminary report in planning
the event. As the team makes this transition, we will be reaching out to bring
our international community into conversation, and experiment actively with the
web as a tool for addressing these new challenges.

We anticipate the conference moving forward as follows:

- Plenaries. Keynotes will be streamed, and recorded later for viewing by those
unable to participate live due to time zones and other constraints.
- Virtual engagement sessions. In coordination with the Electronic Literature
Organization conference, we will be holding a number of virtual meet-ups and
social opportunities designed to encourage community-building and collaboration.
- Full conference proceedings. Our ACM conference proceedings will go forward
as planned. Authors included in the proceedings will have the option of
submitting short video talks to accompany their work, but will not be required
to do so.
- Synchronous collaborative events. Special sessions (such as the doctoral
consortium, workshops, and tutorials) will be held live, with pre-registration
for participants through streaming video platforms.
- Web-based exhibition. A special call for our web-based exhibition is
forthcoming soon.

We are saddened not to be welcoming you to Orlando, but look forward to
convening with you at the first virtual ACM Hypertext and Social Media
conference!